THE VINYANA GROUP IS A BUDDHIST MEDITATION GROUP FOR PEOPLE INTERESTED IN THERAVADA BUDDHIST LAY PRACTICE.
INTERESTED IN SELF MANAGED MEDITATION RETREATS?
AT FOUR WINDS GARDEN RETREATS, BRAMSTON BEACH, QLD
for further information CONTACT SEMONE BY EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rental Accommodation also Available at Four Winds Garden Retreats
for practicing Buddhist
view property at https://www.facebook.com/Four-Winds-Garden-Retreats
Our approach to practice follows the tradition established by Luang Por Chah, the famous Lao/Thai meditation master. He urged his disciples to develop an holistic approach to the practice of Dhamma with equal attention to moral behaviour, to regular meditation, to the promotion of wise patterns of thought and to be ever mindful of our moods.
Peter passed away peacefully in his sleep on the 24 July 2015, twenty two months after being diagnosed with Motor Neuron Disease (MND). Peter was such an optimist and handled such a difficult disease with great strength of mind. Peter revered his teacher Ajahn Chah and said the time spent with him was the best thing he had done in his life. He used the opportunity to practice and prepare for a peaceful death. He always said that he couldn't have got a more Buddhist illness, constantly having to let go. May he have a good rebirth and the Buddha Dhamma be a part of his life again.
This website was developed by Peter and reflects his thorough understanding of Theravada Buddhism. I hope you will take this opportunity to enjoy his efforts.
- By clicking onto each page you will find an overview of Buddhist history, philosophy and practice. Each page contains information relating to our practice philosophy.
- You will find news items of interest and discussions of topical subjects.Information is added regularly on a varied range of topics.
- For members we have a locked area which contains more in depth information and links to articles of interest.
- A glossary of terms is also available for ready clarification of foreign words and usage. We hope you find our site of benefit.
- Please take time to scroll through the pages of this website.
THE VINYANA GROUP proposes a contemporary interpretation of Dhamma and approach to practice whilst maintaining relevance to the Theravada tradition.
has a long and vibrant history of varied thought yet it remains consistent to
the teachings of Siddhartha Gotama. Over the centuries many schools with differing approaches to Buddhist practice have developed and
unfortunately many have also disappeared from history.
Go to our On Practice tab for information on:
- The Attitude for Practice - a compilation of anecdotes by Loom Por Chah.
- 12 ways to deal with anger and resentment from Buddhaghosa's Vissudhimagga.
- The 13 dhutanga practices.
Go to our Recollections of Loom Por tab for information on:
- An update on his biography
- A new article on the State Funeral of Luang Por in 1992
- a new article on "The politics of being Luang Por"
Go to our Topics tab for essays on selected topics:
- A Buddhist Way to Die
Go to our new tab under development, Historical Timeline, for:
- A chronology of significant dates in Buddhist history.
Go to our About Us tab to find out what we are about.
Go to our The Dhamma tab for information on:
- The key tenets of the Buddha's Teaching in clear language.
Go to our Current Affairs tab for articles on :
- A life of suffering - Keisha Weippeart's story.
- Wat Pah Pong - celebration of the life of Luang Por Chah
- Wat Pah Nanachat - Early history of Nanachaht, the Thai monastery for Farang.
- Wat Sisaket - History of famous temple in Vientiane
- Wat Ogart Sayaram - Temple destroyed by US bombs
- Wat Xieng Torng - Temple of the Golden City
- Mes Anyak - Buddhist site to be mined for copper.
Go to our The Buddha tab for information on:
- Biography of the Buddha
- The first sketch of Siddhartha Gotama contrasted by traditional depictions:
- The 32 marks
- The 80 notable qualities
Go to our The Sangha tab for information on:
- The First and Second Councils,
- Schisms in the Sangha.
- Devadatta's First Schism.
- The Great Schism and the key players.
- The division of the Sangha into schools.
- Why is Buddhism prone to schism?
WHERE YOU CAN FIND US:
AUSTRALIA - 1076 Bramston Beach Road, Bramston Beach. Queensland Australia. Phone: 0400 755 537
LAOS - Retreat Centre (Development postponed) - Four Winds Garden Retreat, Xayaburi Road, Ban Paksi, Luang Prabang. Lao PDR.
LATEST WEBSITE UPDATE - 31/01/17